Event details: One of Berlin’s most iconic events is back on a new date after a year off due to the pandemic. This year we will hold the Bathtub Race in conjunction with Berlin’s 2nd Friday on July 9th. In addition to all the whacky bathtub excitement, there will be Artists, Makers, and a Kid Zone hosted by Worcester Youth and Family Counseling. Kids can do crafts and check out the M4 Reactor exhibition that encourages the sharing of new technologies and making cool stuff. Shops will be open late and our many restaurants will offer awesome food and beverages and some will feature live entertainment. Thanks again to our event sponsors: Bradley Atlantic Insurance Management, Taylor Bank, Berlin Auto Wash, and The Sterling Tavern.
Schedule of Bathtub Race activities for 2nd Friday, July 9, 2021:
Event time: 5-8pm
Pre-Race: 10am-5pm. Bathtubs can be dropped off at the Berlin Welcome Center, 14 S. Main St.
5:30pm (SHARP) Mandatory Racer Check-in, Bathtub inspection, Drivers Meeting
6pm: Bathtub Parade from the Welcome Center to Commerce Street
6:15pm: Bathtub Race heats begin on Main St. between Commerce St and Jefferson St.
Keeping our Racers, Volunteers, and Spectators safe at all times is a primary concern. It’s very important that spectators stay behind the straw bales during the racing. Please do not sit on the straw at any time, not just for safety sake but because we have to keep the straw bales in good condition so that they can be handled used by a local farmer when the event is over. (He can only use full, neatly compacted bales that can be re-stacked.)
We want everyone to have a good time and if that includes the enjoyment of a fine adult beverage there are just a few rules that you will need to follow. Here we go:
- No outside alcohol or glass containers are permitted anywhere in the streets or sidewalks.
- Even if you buy alcohol at a Berlin restaurant it is not allowed on the sidewalks or streets. The Atlantic Hotel and the Globe are great places to enjoy a bite to eat and an adult beverage. But, the alcohol must be consumed on their property, please. Failure to follow this Berlin Town law may result in your arrest and the cancellation of future events. (And you don’t want that karma on you.)
- No outside alcohol or glass containers are permitted anywhere in the streets or sidewalks. (Yeah, this is important.)
The Welcome Center (14 S Main St) Parking lot will be open all day to park your tubs. Teams MUST be there by 5:30 for check-in, inspection, rules, and the parade. If you haven’t turned in your registration forms, waivers, and entry fee please have them with you that day.
- Driver and Rider must be 16 years of age or older
- Wheels may be no larger than 26 inches
- The bathtub must have brakes and steering
- There must be at least one rider (helmet required)
- No more than one person can push (closed-toe shoes required)
- The bathtub must hold a minimum of 2 gallons of water
- There is no limit to the number of wheels
- Businesses may advertise on the sides of their bathtub
- The tub must be under the control of a pusher at all times and may not be released until tub has come to a complete stop
- Crossing the yellow line during the race will result in disqualification of that heat
For more information, please contact the Chamber Office at (410) 641-4775.
Make sure to check back frequently for up-to-date information regarding the event.